Director of Audience Research
Appfire is an enterprise collaboration software company that enables teams to plan and deliver their best work. Since launching in 2005 as one of the original Atlassian ecosystem partners, Appfire has built a portfolio of top-selling apps for more than 30,000 customers — including 55% of Fortune 500 companies. As a product-led company, Appfire identifies gaps in industries serving developers and client support teams and then builds solutions that drive productivity and efficiency.
Appfire continues to grow exponentially, with teams spanning 20+ countries. We are financially strong, continuously meeting or exceeding revenue targets, and we invest heavily in strengthening the foundation of our organization. Being philanthropic is integral to operating our business, so we donate 1% of employee time, product, profit, and equity as part of our Pledge 1% commitment.
Come join our team!
What You Will Do
- Lead large and complex studies, including scoping with business leaders, study design, and data collection
- Conduct customer interviews and surveys, capture large volumes of structured and unstructured research data, and work with our insights team to distill findings into clear product guidance
- Coordinate candidate recruiting with internal teams and external vendors to keep your interview backlog filled
- Ensure that qualitative, quantitative, and conversational research data are accurately logged and communicated to internal product and product marketing teams
- Learn and “wear” our research methodology as a key voice in the growth of our Product Research team
- Onboard, coach, and mentor junior researchers to scale team capacities and culture
- Cultivate and actively maintain ongoing relationships with a community of internal and external key customers and stakeholders
What We Would Like to See
- You love the customer research practice and yearn for a role that is primed and ready for growth and expansion.
- You deeply understand qualitative research practices, most importantly conducting customer interviews to garner product, user, and buying insights.
- You love being on the front line for product teams who care about making things that truly matter.
- You enjoy conducting 1st-person customer, user, and market interviews via phone and zoom.
- You quickly build trust with study participants and have a knack for maintaining those relationships post-study.
- You skillfully maintain your bearings in the “messy middle“ of a large volume of research intake.
- You’re a servant leader who thrives as much on doing the work as supervising the work across your team.
- You have the wisdom of humility, and are driven by our shared core value of “Getting it right over being right.”
- You strive to balance managing the day-to-day with strategic and bigger picture.
- MINIMUM: 9+ years of customer, buyer and/or UX research in support of strategic product decisions OR
- MINIMUM: 9+ years of hands-on experience with qualitative research, including study design, recruiting, moderation, and process design.
- MINIMUM: Demonstrable work experience in product management, product marketing, or related consulting
- PLUS: Experience with two or more of these product categories: ITSM, Admin Tools, Workflow & Automation software, Agile Planning, and/or Business Intelligence tools
- PLUS: Experience working with a large product portfolio
- PLUS: Familiarity with quantitative research and survey design & software
- PLUS: Familiarity with Atlassian ecosystem and tools (Jira, Confluence)
What We Offer
- Every Appfire employee is eligible for company equity
- 10 paid holidays + Flexible PTO – no set number of days that you must take in a year
- 100% company-paid health insurance
- 50/50 split dental and vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Appfire provides all equipment for your home office, including an Amazon Business account
- Company paid mobile phone and Internet