Senior DevOps Engineer
Appfire is an enterprise collaboration software company that enables teams to plan and deliver their best work. Since launching in 2005 as one of the original Atlassian ecosystem partners, Appfire has built a portfolio of top-selling apps for more than 30,000 customers — including 55% of Fortune 500 companies. As a product-led company, Appfire identifies gaps in industries serving developers and client support teams and then builds solutions that drive productivity and efficiency.
Appfire continues to grow exponentially, with teams spanning 20+ countries. We are financially strong, continuously meeting or exceeding revenue targets, and we invest heavily in strengthening the foundation of our organization. Being philanthropic is integral to operating our business, so we donate 1% of employee time, product, profit, and equity as part of our Pledge 1% commitment.
Come join our team!
Job Purpose and Overview
Senior DevOps Engineers are in charge of implementing and analyzing complex systems for development, which includes planning, development, testing, documenting, and deployment processes for both development and production environments. Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask on separate projects are important, and their main responsibilities often focus on systems design, automation, and maintenance. They also develop efficient budgets, troubleshoot problems, manage risks, and schedule deadlines for technical deliveries.
What You Will Do
- Work independently. Ensure all processes and procedures are thoroughly documented, reviewed, and approved by the Director of Product Engineering, and other stakeholders as necessary. Ensure all processes and procedures are repeatable.
- Ensure all routine maintenance on development and production systems including upgrades, security fixes, and backups, are planned, communicated, and completed in a timely manner with little to no supervision
- Ensure all development and production systems are secure from outside threats and vulnerabilities. Be proactive by keeping up to date on the latest in this area.
- Establish key monitoring solutions for all critical apps and systems for both production and development systems to ensure zero to no downtime. Monitor the health of development and production systems and proactively identify system issues prior to becoming a larger system issue by engaging the appropriate resources (Production support, infrastructure, and development resources) to reduce any impacts to users when applicable.
- Provide root cause analysis and perform a documented retrospective on all system and application failures and recoveries. Follow up with appropriate resources for root cause analysis if not known at the time of resolution of the system issue.
- Provide recommendations, including budgeting details, for all new development and production systems to support current and future development activities. This includes both internal and production systems and software.
- Document and implement plans for all production applications and systems to ensure they are highly available working closely with the development teams
- Provide thorough analysis of every problem. Troubleshoot and ensure appropriate procedures are in place to prevent issues relating to development and production systems from impacting the teams
- Recommend and implement automation for all routine, critical procedures. Ensure any automation scripts, configuration, and source is stored in the primary source code management application.
- ·Stay current and knowledgeable with all advancing technologies and provide recommendations for how the company can best utilize those advancements.
What We Would Like To See
- 5+ years experience in system, storage, and network administration.
- 5+ years’ experience administering enterprise-level Linux operating environments.
- 5+ years’ experience using system and network utilities such as Bind, SSH, NIS, and NFS.
- Experience with AWS services (Certifications Preferred) EC2, ECS, EKS, EFS, SNS, RDS
- Docker environments, deploying/testing apps in Docker
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Bamboo, Pipelines, Circle CI and/or Jenkins
- Working knowledge of Git and git workflows
- Solid experience with source control and build systems (Bitbucket, Bamboo)
- Solid experience with web server and proxy server administration (Apache, Tomcat, NGINX).
- Solid experience and strong understanding of best practices with Cloud technologies, infrastructure and containers, such as AWS, Docker, and DigitalOcean.
- Solid experience with and strong understanding of best practices for configuration management tools, such as Chef and Puppet.
- Solid experience in MySQL, Postgres or other DBMS.
- Solid experience in providing technical support, including troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Solid experience with a wide range of open-source technologies, such as MySQL, Open LDAP, Apache, NGINX, Nagios, Wazuh, ELK, and Sendmail.
- B.E/B.Tech in EE, EECS, CS, MIS or comparable discipline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills in English.
- Strong ability to work independently and under pressure, on 5 or more concurrent tasks.
- Strong ability to prioritize and manage own time efficiently, including meeting target dates and not overlooking any tasks or issues that need to be addressed.
- Be accountable, take ownership, and have strong customer focus.
What We Offer
- Every Appfire employee is eligible for company equity
- Remote Work – flexibility to work from home or from our offices + remote working allowance up to INR 12,000 per annum (paid monthly)
- Unlimited paid sick leave in the event of an employee’s own illness or injury
- Generous vacation policy
- Group Medical Insurance – Coverage of INR 5,00,000 per annum for a family including dependents parents with no additional cost
- Crèche benefit
- Appfire provides all equipment for your home office, including an Amazon Business account
- Training and development – access to a comprehensive library of training videos