You’ve just returned from a work trip to kick off a project with your new client. The kickoff went well, and the client is happy, but you’re exhausted from the long flight. The last thing you want to do is complete a lengthy spreadsheet so the finance team will reimburse your travel expenses. Sound familiar?
Rachel Wright, Jira expert and author of Jira Strategy Admin Workbook, feels the same way. She hates filling out expense reports, so she devised an easy way to submit them in Jira instead.
To make the expense reporting process easier, Rachel configured a Jira project for reimbursement tracking and installed the JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows app to add calculation abilities and extend workflow functions. She created a custom issue type, workflow, and custom fields to collect and calculate trip details, mileage, and costs. She used subtasks to track reimbursement progress and epics to group expenses together by type. Now the leadership team can see how much money is spent on client travel.
In this video, you’ll learn how to use Jira and the JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows to:
- sum custom number fields to automatically calculate expense and mileage costs
- check fields to make sure specific data is entered before performing calculations
- automatically create issues, populate fields, and copy attachments from other issues
- automatically close a parent issue when a child issue is completed
- sum expenses from multiple trips and display the grand total in an epic
- use JSU functions like preconditions and the calculated field, create a linked issue, and linked transition post functions
- and more
Watch the video to see the configuration details.
Even if your team doesn’t travel, you can use this same concept for endless business use cases. How about calculating the cost of software license requests or automatically creating a Jira issue to alert one team to the activities of another team? It’s easy to do with JSU, and no code is required.
Whether you’re a marketing manager, event planner, HR project lead, or accountant, you can use Jira and the JSU app to virtualize and automate your work in Jira.