Principal System Administrator
Appfire is an enterprise collaboration software company that enables teams to plan and deliver their best work. Since launching in 2005 as one of the original Atlassian ecosystem partners, Appfire has built a portfolio of top-selling apps for more than 30,000 customers — including 55% of Fortune 500 companies. As a product-led company, Appfire identifies gaps in industries serving developers and client support teams and then builds solutions that drive productivity and efficiency.
Appfire continues to grow exponentially, with teams spanning 20+ countries. We are financially strong, continuously meeting or exceeding revenue targets, and we invest heavily in strengthening the foundation of our organization. Being philanthropic is integral to operating our business, so we donate 1% of employee time, product, profit, and equity as part of our Pledge 1% commitment.
Come join our team!
Job Purpose and Overview
We are looking for a full-time and highly self-motivated professional to join our team as a Principal System Administrator. In this critical role, you will work within a corporate team that builds, supports, and extends our company’s infrastructure, allowing you ample opportunity to gain valuable insight into the company as a whole, broaden your skills, and grow your career. The infrastructure you will support includes servers, networks, systems installed on physical servers, and virtual/cloud systems.
Working closely with our IT Infrastructure Architect and Information Security team, you will use your deep technical expertise in Linux, TCP/IP networking, storage, virtualization, and cloud to evaluate, support, deploy, and administer the tools and automation that will improve our efficiency, security, and scalability.
You will work with a wide variety of technologies, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Ansible, Chef, DigitalOcean, CI/CD, BetterCloud, Google Workspace, OneTrust, and more.
What You Will Do
- Monitor systems to ensure reliability by reviewing error logs, conducting regular tests of system speed and reliability, and following up on any issues reported.
- Establish procedures and controls to enforce security and asset management, including firewalls, permissioning, user management, and more.
- Use and develop Ansible, Chef, and shell scripts to help manage supported systems.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection, and deployment of new corporate tools.
- Monitor and tune systems to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge with respect to state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and systems.
- Maintain availability via email, telephone, or any device that may be assigned in order to provide timely on-call support for system alerts and escalated off-hours issues.
- Ensure that all platform documentation is well managed and regularly updated to reflect the changes deployed.
What We Would Like To See
- 8+ years of experience working as a Systems or Network Administrator.
- 2+ years experience with cloud technologies such as AWS.
- 2+ years experience administering one or more enterprise-level Linux operating environments.
- Experience monitoring applications and scripts.
- Shell Scripting (using Korn Shell, Bourne Shell, Bash, sed, and awk) or similar.
- Solid knowledge of information security issues and best practices.
- Solid knowledge of network design, configuration, and support firewalls.
- Experience and strong understanding of containers (Docker) and virtualization (VMware).
- Experience with tools such as Chef, Puppet, and Ansible for automated deployment and systems configuration management.
- Experience in Atlassian suite administration (Jira, Confluence, Bamboo).
- Experience in MySQL, Oracle, or other database systems.
- Soft Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- B.E/B.Tech in EE, EECS, CS, MIS, or a comparable discipline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to break down complex tasks into executable, sequential, and measurable steps.
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues.
- Ability to deal with changes and adapt to a changing environment.
- Excellent time management, prioritization, collaboration, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance, and effectively make judgments in prioritizing and time allocation in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative problem solver with an ability to accomplish goals through a variety of processes and tools.
- Ability to exchange information with technical and non-technical individuals in a clear and concise manner.
We’ve Got You Covered
- Every Appfire employee is eligible for company equity
- Remote Work – flexibility to work from home or from our offices + remote working allowance up to INR 12,000 per annum (paid monthly)
- Unlimited paid sick leave in the event of an employee’s own illness or injury
- Generous vacation policy
- Group Medical Insurance – Coverage of INR 5,00,000 per annum for a family including dependents parents with no additional cost
- Crèche benefit
- Appfire provides all equipment for your home office, including an Amazon Business account
- Training and development – access to a comprehensive library of training videos