Sr. Technical Project Manager
Appfire is an enterprise collaboration software company that enables teams to plan and deliver their best work. Since launching in 2005 as one of the original Atlassian ecosystem partners, Appfire has built a portfolio of top-selling apps for more than 30,000 customers — including 55% of Fortune 500 companies. As a product-led company, Appfire identifies gaps in industries serving developers and client support teams and then builds solutions that drive productivity and efficiency.
Appfire continues to grow exponentially, with teams spanning 20+ countries. We are financially strong, continuously meeting or exceeding revenue targets, and we invest heavily in strengthening the foundation of our organization. Being philanthropic is integral to operating our business, so we donate 1% of employee time, product, profit, and equity as part of our Pledge 1% commitment.
Come join our team!
Job Purpose and Overview
In the role of Technical Project Manager, you will report to the Associate Director of IT Program Management and be responsible for managing the successful and on-time delivery of corporate initiatives that are driven by or significantly impacting one or more Business System teams. You will collaborate with team managers to ensure appropriate allocation and usage of resources for each project and ensure project stakeholders are kept informed about project progress and impediments.
What You'll Do:
- Manage multiple concurrent midsize to large projects from inception to close, including discovery, planning and design, scheduling, managing scope and dependencies, mitigating risk, facilitating issue resolution, and managing escalations.
- Develop detailed work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans, and status reports.
- Collaborate, manage workflows, and lead meetings between involved teams and team members to ensure all deliverables are completed on time and within budget.
- Serve as a central point of contact for all project questions.
- Track team progress toward milestones/sprints, using key performance metrics to identify if the team is on track or not objectively.
- Provide ongoing communication to sponsors and stakeholders to manage their expectations and keep them informed about progress and impediments.
- Review project deliverables to ensure they meet requirements and quality standards.
- Drive process and tooling improvements to increase throughput and output quality.
- Participate in advancing best practices for program and project management across the organization.
- Lead and coach junior project managers to improve and advance the PMO practice.
- 6+ years experience in a technical IT role, preferably system administration, technical support, or data warehousing.
- 3+ years experience in at least 3 of the following areas: AWS administration, Docker administration, Linux system administration, network administration, DevOps, data warehousing (BI, ETL), and Atlassian products (Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket, and Bamboo)
- 6+ years of experience managing multiple deadline-driven projects simultaneously, using various project management tools, and using Traditional and Agile frameworks.
- Demonstrable experience of successful collaboration with cross-functional and distributed teams.
- Keen attention to detail in the planning, organizing, and executing tasks while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together.
- Demonstrable ability to work independently, managing 5+ medium-to-large projects concurrently in a high-paced environment. A medium-sized project is an initiative with a 9 to 15-month duration, has 8 to 15 contributors, and impacts 7 to 6 functional areas.
- Strong ability to prioritize and manage own and others’ time efficiently, including meeting target dates and not overlooking any tasks or issues that need to be addressed.
- Ability to break down complex concepts or deliverables into executable tasks and measurable steps.
- Ability to exchange information with technical and non-technical individuals in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships with other cross-functional teams.
- Exceptional communication skills that allow you to effectively communicate with peers, members of other functional areas, and management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including spelling and grammar.
- Ability to quickly and concisely communicate (verbally or in written form) with management on technical issues in non-technical terms.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or PRINCE2 certification is highly preferred.
- Program Management Professional (PgMP) is a plus.
- Proficiency with Jira and Confluence is highly desired.
- Knowledge of Asana is desired.
- Knowledge of Project Server and Smartsheet is a plus.
The PMO Team
The PMO team plays a crucial role in Appfire’s growth by advancing a consistent enterprise-wide approach to identifying, prioritizing, and successfully delivering initiatives that align with the strategic goals and long-term vision of the organization. The PMO team supports the Appfire community as a source of guidance for delivering project and change management across functional areas. The PMO supports consistent communication of status, dependencies, risks, issues, and financial impact across key enterprise initiatives to the organization.
- Every Appfire employee is eligible for company equity
- 26 paid days off, regardless of years of experience
- Wellness Days – additional time-off each month to recharge and take care of yourself
- Private healthcare
- Multisport card
- Training budget
- Plenty of team-building events
Why a Career at Appfire?
Appfire is a global company of awesome humans working to help teams all over the world. We believe that bold ideas light the way for builders – just like us! Our culture embraces YOUR unique skills, while providing a collaborative, diverse environment that thrives on change and growth for the entire Appfire family! At Appfire, innovators are wanted!
Appfire is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.